Five Weeks, Ten Pounds, and Still Going Strong

A month to six weeks is usually when I lose motivation and give up on losing weight and exercise and eating better. I just get discouraged because I haven't lost half my weight in the few weeks since I started. (I am aware that this isn't a realistic goal, but I never claimed to have a realistic outlook on things.) Or at least that I never made much progress in that month.

A lot of things are different this time. I'm not just getting up at the crack of dawn and stomping around the neighborhood where I've lived for twelve years for the sake of stomping around. (Boring.) I'm not exercising for some lofty, vague, hazy goal of "lose weight" and "be healthy." I have a specific goal* now: Dance my butt off.

It's all about the dancing. I have such a good time every week in class. I feel graceful, feminine, strong, and -- dare I say it -- even a little sexy when I practice. And I want to make sure I can keep up with everyone else and have the best time I possibly can every Wednesday night.

But one workout per week isn't going to do it. I need more endurance: moving for an hour is exhausting, and keeping my arms lifted over my head for several minutes at a time makes them feel like they're going to fall off. I need more flexibility: those back and knee bends aren't very pretty. I need more strength: keeping myself lifted on my toes and the balls of my feet for several minutes at a time just isn't happening yet.

I want to perform! I want to make a skirt and buy bangles and get out there and dance! Every class prepares me for the time when I can do all that, but now that I have these specific goals, it's making everything else -- the walking, the strength training, minding my nutrition, and Curves -- much more palatable enjoyable than it ever was before. Spark People is helping me stay organized so I can keep a record of what does and doesn't work for me, so I can see where I've been and where I want to go, gives me new resources and motivation, and helps me make friends who have the same goals I have. And it's working!

* Actually, I have two specific goals. Mainly, I want to be fit for myself ... but I also want to be fit for my loved ones. I want my nieces to walk with me at Disneyland or in the mall and not be embarrassed. (This hasn't happened yet, but I can see it coming.) I want to go someplace with a man and have him be proud to be seen with me. (There have been times when I've been in that situation and they've seemed very anxious to be anywhere but at my side. Max isn't one of them, though.) I want to be around long enough to dance at my nieces' weddings. (And my own, if I'm lucky enough.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe #1: Nora Ephron's Chocolate Cream Pie

I Can Haz Bukkit?

Stanley Unwin would call it "Improvvers the Domicilibode."