I Can Haz Bukkit?

So I've started a compost pile. I've read conflicting reports; I could be able to use it in a year or as soon a few weeks. Depends on how long it takes for everything to decompose. I've thrown some shredded bills and credit card offers in a one-gallon container with a lid along with some crushed eggshells, water, soil, a few stray Cheerios, and a banana peel. It's a rubbish way to start (pun intended), but it's all I've got at the moment because I did a thorough fridge cleaning last week.

I'll need a larger container eventually -- something that can hold enough compost for my patio but is still small enough for me to lug around -- but that can wait for a few weeks at least. I do need to do some research before then so I know what kind of a bin to get (and what I can afford), but that's what Google is for:


Image found here.

I also planted Italian parsley seeds in four toilet paper rolls and set them outside. They're getting plenty of sun, and it isn't as hot today as it was yesterday, so the seedlings should be happy so long as I remember to water them.

In other news, I'm still sick but stronger today than I have been since Wednesday. I didn't want to barf up a lung all over everyone at church, so I've stayed home and watched some classic Battlestar Galactica instead ... there's enough LDS theology in "Lost Planet of the Gods" and "War of the Gods" to make a Sunday School lesson. Will get some more patio cleanup done once the sun is a little lower in the sky; I want to spend a good hour taking all the poor plants I neglected from my last several attempts and add them to the compost container while I salvage as much soil as I can for my kitchen garden. (Lest you think I was well enough to go to church, I will say that I'll set up a chair so I can sit for most of that hour and just chuck stuff from place to place.)

Comments

  1. Good luck with the composting - my parents started doing it recently - I think its working well for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, honey! I'm new to all of this and will undoubtedly mess it up many times no matter how much studying and preparation I do, but I'll learn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe #1: Nora Ephron's Chocolate Cream Pie

Stanley Unwin would call it "Improvvers the Domicilibode."