Recipe #5: Upcakes

food

My nieces (Boo's 13 and Squirt is 6) and I made these yummy gems last night. The recipe is another of Bakerella's creations, and the recipe is here:

http://www.bakerella.com/upcake-decorating-101/

It doesn't matter what kind of cupcake you start with. I had a white cake mix, and we added blue food coloring to the batter to make it a nice sky blue. We omitted the white sanding sugar, though. And as you can see, I didn't find the confetti that the recipe's creators used. Mine are more like mini jawbreakers or rainbow-colored ball bearings. Boo and I did the bulk of the work -- she'd never separated an egg before, so that was a chance to show her something new -- but we included Squirt whenever we could.

VERDICT: Very good, indeed! It was worth all the effort (and all the cleanup) to see the look on Boo's face when she understood where it got its name: UPcake. She chortled for at least five minutes.

I must be more circumspect about what foods I bring in the future, though. Sister-in-law has gestational diabetes, and I'm sure that not being able to have one was torture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe #1: Nora Ephron's Chocolate Cream Pie

I Can Haz Bukkit?

Stanley Unwin would call it "Improvvers the Domicilibode."