Ramen Review #2 (technically, 1.5 and 2)

I've had ramen since my first post, but it wasn't any of the new stuff I've bought in the last week or two. I do want to say this, however:

I purchased two bags of Ramen Bae dried toppings a few months ago. The seafood mix goes beautifully with the shrimp flavor of Maruchan or Nissin's ramen/cup of noodles. It smells potently fishy when you open the bag, but when you eat the re-hydrated toppings in your soup, it's heaven. I also bought the veggie mix, which complements every flavor of Maruchan and Nissin ramen I've had. Two heaping tablespoons added at the same time as the noodles, and it's delicious.

Ramen Bae: 10/10! If you like the speed and flavor of ramen but don't want to dirty more pots or pans prepping stuff to go with it, get Ramen Bae. I paid about $36 per bag, and it's worth it to me.

Today's ramen was Momofuku's Soy and Scallion flavor. This is my first time eating this ramen, so I followed the instructions and didn't add or delete anything.

No microwave instructions. It looks like you have to cook this on a stove.

I've only had ramen as soup before, but the instructions told me to boil four cups of water, cook the noodles, and strain the water out. So I was eating noodles that got increasingly gummy as I ate. This was not soup, and the noodles got cold very quickly. I will reserve some of the water next time.

There were two packets, one dried scallions and one soy sauce. I used about half of the soy sauce, and it was enough flavor. It tasted good! I was worried about the scallions needing water, otherwise I might not taste them, so I put them in the bottom of the bowl while the noodles cooked. They re-hydrated, but they still stuck to the bowl, so I didn't get much scallion taste anyway. Next time, I will stir them into the noodles for the last minute of cooking and use a fine strainer.

My first attempt with Momofuku: 5/10. Excellent taste, but I like my ramen to be soup and stay warm for more than two minutes. I appreciate that it has protein and isn't empty carbs, but that sodium content is another reason I didn't use much of the soy packet. I have five packages of this brand and flavor, so I will experiment and report in other blog posts. I bet I can get this to a 9/10 by the time I'm done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe #1: Nora Ephron's Chocolate Cream Pie

Stanley Unwin would call it "Improvvers the Domicilibode."

An Attitude of Solitude