2021 Goals (this started out being about reading goals, but brevity is not my strong suit)

While I managed to surpass my quota of reading 52 books in 2020, I did not finish either the Reading Glasses Challenge or the Professional Book Nerds Challenge for last year. It bugs me a little because I don't like to leave reading challenges undone -- if I can't succeed at reading, I won't succeed at anything! -- but it was a hell of a year.

(Like this one hasn't been, but that's another story.)

I made a spreadsheet for the 2021 reading challenges from Reading Glasses, the Professional Book Nerds, and PopSugar. I may finish the first two, but I highly doubt I will do all fifty of the last one. But I'm keeping track anyway. I also set a quota of fifty-two books at Goodreads. GR doesn't discriminate between new-to-me books and rereads; if it's in their database and I've read it this year, it counts.

(I went back and checked my 2020 books on GR; At least sixty were new to me. I'm not sure about the Lumberjanes comic book series, because I'd read at least half before 2020. I was conservative and counted four of the volumes, even though the actual new-to-me number is probably six or seven. I prefer to err on the side of caution. I also do that when I'm swimming laps at the local pool; if I'm not sure whether I've swum 300 or 400 meters, I tell myself I've swum 300 and go from there. I don't want to take credit for something I may not have accomplished.)

But if I read at least fifty-two books I haven't read before in 2021, I will be content. Average one a week. Everything else is gravy. I've already finished six, and I have four more in progress.

Reading Glasses and the Professional Book Nerds are both podcasts, by the way. I don't know if I've ever mentioned either. I don't listen to PBN much, but I am a devotee of Reading Glasses. Hosts Mallory and Brea have very different tastes in books, but under the surface of settings and genres, there are a lot of similarities, too ... and I have a lot of preferences in common with one or both of them. Plus, they're just fun to listen to! They have good chemistry, they really love books, and they have a lot of interesting things to say. So listening to their podcast gives me something to look forward to every week.

Dangle some ridiculous reward in front of me, and I turn into a total wh0re. Both Kindle and Audible have "badges" for reading daily and doing other challenges, like creating bookmarks or reading over the weekend. I have been jumping through all their hoops to get those badges, even though I can't show them to anyone, and no one would be interested anyway. All the same, it's fun to see the pretties on my profile.

I resumed learning Spanish on Duolingo this year, too. It's only January 16th as I type this, so there's still plenty of time to fall off the wagon. I'm still playing catch-up, reviewing topics and vocabulary I've covered before (both at Duolingo and in high school), so it's relatively easy. But I'm having a good time, and Mom is happier with me now that I'm doing something that could strengthen my chances of employment. I've been unemployed for almost thirteen months -- thanks, COVID -- and I am going out of my mind. I did very little to improve my mind or body in 2020, and I am working to not be as rudderless this year.

I suppose it is a New Year's resolution because I resumed Duolingo on January 1st, but I refuse to call it that. Part of the timing was a video from a YouTuber who has ADHD. She put forth a 90-Day challenge in September for her followers, to give them and herself accountability. I dithered about what to do for my challenge for two weeks before I realized everyone else was half a month into their challenges, so I gave up. The YouTuber put her results video up on December 30th, and I really did miss the boat on that one. There is no challenge going right now, but I'm behaving as though there is.

Happy New Year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe #1: Nora Ephron's Chocolate Cream Pie

I Can Haz Bukkit?

Stanley Unwin would call it "Improvvers the Domicilibode."