more of the same

No resolutions to 2020. Just trying to keep my head above water and find a job so my parents, cats, and I don't live in our cars.

The temp job I mentioned almost a year ago is done. I'd got very good at it by the time my hours ran out -- eleven months will do that -- and I was sorry to leave. The boss tried to keep me, but they don't have the budget for it. I'd much rather be employed than not, and I would gladly take it if offered, but the position never felt like a place to settle, more like a step on the way to something else.

Here's my Year in Books, as defined by Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2019/38060115

My favorite books I hadn't read before were Becoming, Into the Drowning Deep, Internment, Circe, The Urban Cycling Survival Guide, and An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth.

I read at least that much fanfiction as well, if you count repeats. I keep fanfic on a basic Kindle and read that before bed. I've fallen out of the habit of reading book-books before I go to sleep. They're too awkward. The Kindle leaves one hand free to pet whichever cat is hanging out with me, and someone is always nearby.

I have a few book-related goals for 2020:

1. Read 52 books (average one a week)
2. Read (or DNF) at least twelve books that I own but haven't read
3. Make more progress on my Hufflepuff book shelf

There's a lot of overlap in those three things, so I should be able to make progress this year.

Super excited about two books coming out in 2020! Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is my all-time favorite book, and Susanna Clarke has a new book coming out in a few months. Not in the same universe as JSandMN; it's a standalone. I know she was sick for a long time, so that news was a delightful surprise. Also, Hilary Mantel has finished the Thomas Cromwell trilogy, and the last book is coming out this spring. I found out about both on the same day, and I was flailing like Kermit the Frog.

I have so many books and so little shelf space, so I don't get paper books any more unless I've already read them and love them enough that I know I'll read them again. (This usually means an audition from the public library.) I only asked for four books for Christmas/birthday, and I got two: Circe and Good Omens. My supervisor at City Hall went to England on vacation in October, and she brought me back the Good Omens script book, but I still didn't have the original novel by Pratchett and Gaiman. So they will sit together on my bookcase's favorites shelf.

I suppose I should begin 2020 as I would like the year to be in general: improvements of some kind. Once I get off my patookus and get all my dirty laundry sorted, my bedroom will be 1/3 cleaner than it is at present. Then I'll gather obvious trash and recycling and chuck it into the bins and take them out. (Thank you, UFYH.) And gather all my library books in one place ... they keep getting scattered around the bedroom.

One of my local public libraries has a system where I can order a new item for their system. It has to be approved by a librarian, but after they order it, it gets sent directly to me from the bookseller. I can keep it as long as I want, and then I return it to the library. They will then process it and add it to their collection. Isn't that brilliant? I have one at home, and I'm halfway through it. Short story compilations are always slow going, though. With a novel, I immerse myself into a new world once a week. With short stories, it's once every twenty minutes. I can't take in more than three a day, or I get exhausted.

Copperbadge decided to start a National Clean Yo Home month in place of NaNoWriMo in November. He called it NaClYoHo, or Salty Pirates Month. The idea is to work on your home every day for the length of one podcast. I stuck to it for about two weeks and then fell (flung myself) off the wagon, but I'm still listening to the podcasts. LeVar Burton Reads is a delight to listen to, as is Reading Glasses.

Still riding city bikes via the bike share program. I rode a few times in August and then gave it up until the weather cooled in November. Since then, I've averaged a few times a week. (The website shows a map of each ride and keeps statistics for individual rides and total time spent on city bikes.) The last ten days have had bad weather and a serious case of depression fatigue/laziness, so I've almost certainly lost all the progress I've made in December, but that's okay. I take breaks, but I don't quit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe #1: Nora Ephron's Chocolate Cream Pie

Stanley Unwin would call it "Improvvers the Domicilibode."

I Can Haz Bukkit?