the world needs big, fat toads, too

We just had a concert weekend, and it came at the end of a gruelling week. Mom had chest pains on Monday morning, and she was in the ER and then in hospital from about 4 am Monday to 4 pm Wednesday. I missed a day and a half of work (still at the temp job with the city), I had two evening rehearsals, I was fetching and carrying for Mom a lot, and I wasn't eating or sleeping well. I don't think I've gone into a concert weekend so tired, and I'm sorry to say it showed.

During the concert, we sang two songs in a mixed formation: sopranos next to altos, and no one was to stand next to anyone singing the same part. I normally stand between two sweet, handsome ladies of mature years. I don't feel out of place with either of them. But mixed, I was between two stunningly beautiful, young, petite women. I felt like a toad amongst roses. I even told some other chorus friends about that, and when I said I was standing between D. and F., they just nodded and made noises of agreement.

But then I thought of last summer when we were on tour. I stood at the front railing of the ferry between Victoria and Tsawassen, BC, in a very strong, icy wind. I had to lean forward to reach the rail, and it was wonderful to be cold in July. Then I heard two friends' voices -- A. and M., both of whom are petite -- and they waved from the center of the deck, where they struggled to walk forward against the wind. Seeing they wanted to join me and were having a hard time, I walked around behind them, put an arm around each of them, and pushed them to the railing where I'd stood. They didn't last long, not being insulated the way a super-fat person like me is, but they loved the wind and the view at the bow of the ferry, and they appreciated my help in getting there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe #1: Nora Ephron's Chocolate Cream Pie

I Can Haz Bukkit?

Stanley Unwin would call it "Improvvers the Domicilibode."