updates and improvements

Update on Freshman Composition: I got an A. I did burn out after the midterm, which means I started to get less than perfect scores on assignments. But I did everything that wasn't extra credit, and I got a perfect score on the final exam/essay, so I'm good. Not doing spring semester because I have no money, so I've started learning Spanish on Duolingo.

Update on the job hunt: background check is processing. As soon as that comes through, I'll get a start date to work as a temp downtown. I think it's three months, which gives me a reprieve as far as my Unemployment Insurance benefits running out. I don't have much hope that it'll turn into a permanent position, but it's a job, it pays almost as much as my last job (without a commute that costs $140 for gas each month), and I am thrilled to have it.

Update on books read in 2018: you can go to Goodreads to see how I did. I'm pleased, both with the number of books read and the average number of pages per book.

I may or may not continue with this, but I saw a YouTube video about people who did three minutes of planks every day, and how their endurance and core strength increased so they did their planking time with fewer and fewer attempts. Day one for both of them was at least a minute. So I spread a throw blanket on the floor to cushion my knees, set my Kindle to the stopwatch app, assumed the position, and heaved myself up, only my toes and my forearms touching the floor.

Nine seconds.

I'm kind of surprised I managed that much, to be honest. And I'm pretty sure I didn't injure myself, which is a plus. I managed to make a second plank last seven seconds, but I'm only counting the duration of the first for this practice.

So long as I get more movement in every day, I'll be good. I try not to think about New Year's resolutions and all that, but it's hard not to buy into the hype, even when I'm middle-aged and very well acquainted with how quickly my enthusiasm for projects waxes and wanes.

To be honest, depression is hitting hard. I spend twelve hours a day in bed on average. Sleep, get up to eat, nap, get up, nap, stay awake for several hours, then go to bed a little later than I did the night before. (Though I didn't nap today. So that's something.) Getting up at 5:30 am to get to work on time will be loads of fun. Maybe I should just stay awake all night one night this weekend so I go to bed super early the next night, and I'm awake at 4 am or something. That can't be healthy, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe #1: Nora Ephron's Chocolate Cream Pie

I Can Haz Bukkit?

Stanley Unwin would call it "Improvvers the Domicilibode."