this should be interesting

At the age of 44, I am taking Freshman Composition at a junior college. High time, I know.

The class officially starts tomorrow, but Professor M released the syllabus today. I'm tempted to pull a Hermione Granger and read the entire textbook before the class starts, but I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm in the hope that I don't burn out before Halloween.

That reminds me; I need to start on my Hedwig costume.

And I never know if this is going to be an autumn/winter that is going to have bronchitis or pneumonia in it, so I need all the oomph I can get.

I did get the e-textbook -- many thanks, Professor, for assigning a book that doesn't cost upwards of $300 -- and read the introduction. I found my attention wandering, so I read some paragraphs out loud to the cats. It helped me focus, but Morse bit me and left the room after five minutes. Everyone's a critic. (In her defense, I was absentmindedly petting her, and my hand strayed to her belly.)

It will be interesting to see how my creaky brain that is set in its ways starts moving and doing what I hope is mental yoga: making my thought processes stronger and more flexible. More capable of discernment and good judgment as I do the things I love, like reading and writing. And I really want to be a better writer.

One thing I think is very interesting about the way Professor M has structured this course is that the entire semester is centered around a single topic, which is food. It's a topic with a lot of angles and things to consider, so we could easily spend an entire year discussing and writing about it. Focusing on just one thing will allow us to really dig in and look at the ethics, philosophy, practical considerations, and purposes of food. And it's something I've thought about before, at least a little, because it affects my life and how I live it. For me, food can be survival, pleasure, a social event, a panacea, a chore, an accomplishment, and a way to take care of other people.

All of this is happening while I search for a full-time job ... what a treat. I did choose this, though, so I don't really have a leg to stand on with that complaint. Between now and tomorrow, I have a bunch of chores to do, so I'd better get on with it.

Currently reading The Power by Naomi Alderman. I started weeks ago, paused for a while, and started devouring it on Friday. I should finish in a day or two, because I am very curious to see where this is going. I also want to finish rereading HP and the Chamber of Secrets today, though that may not happen until later this week. I need to finish Ted Chiang's Stories of Your Life collection by Wednesday, because book club is Thursday morning, and being on the freeway by 10:15 am means getting up early.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe #1: Nora Ephron's Chocolate Cream Pie

Christmas 2023: dreading dreading dreading

Stanley Unwin would call it "Improvvers the Domicilibode."