Still here.

Trina update, because it's been a while since I've blogged here.

I developed plantar fasciitis last October while volunteering at my favorite community theater.  They put on The Rocky Horror Show every year, and I help with sales.  As a result, I ran around a lot, four nights a week for a month.  Sometimes they had two shows in a night, too.  So I've spent the last ten months wearing flats, boots, and athletic shoes.  No long walks, either, which is a bummer, but I kept myself from gaining weight by doing yoga.  I finally returned to Curves last month and have regained some of the ground I had lost.  (Or lost some of the pounds I had regained ... same difference.)

Work continues as it has these last nine years.  I'm very grateful for my job, flexible hours, and amiable coworkers.  I don't mind not being able to advance anywhere else.  I help out with extra duties, including Library birthdays.  This month is my responsibility, so I coordinate the September birthday party for four coworkers, which includes a card for each and making sure everyone gets what they want in a cake, even if it means having more than one cake.

I auditioned for and was accepted to a local women's chorus last month.  The first rehearsal was last week, and of course I was sick, so I sat in a pew and listened to the music and wondered what the hell I was doing in such august company as this.  I didn't practice more than an hour last week, either -- shame on me -- so I'll be behind during this week's rehearsal again.  But I'll catch up as soon as I can sing without any residual hoarseness.

New favorite movies include Joon-ho Bong's Snowpiercer and Drew Barrymore's Whip It.  Mind the ratings and warnings if my opinion carries any weight with my readers.  I also went to see Monty Python Mostly Live, which seems to be a farewell show, when it was broadcast all over the world.  It was offensive, tasteless, crude, and absolutely hilarious.  I love those old farts as much as I can love someone I've never met.  (Though I did converse with Eric Idle on Twitter once ... like that counts.)  And the local art cinema showed A Hard Day's Night to celebrate its fiftieth anniversary, so I wasn't about to miss that!

The shine is off the apple a bit with regard to Doctor Who and Sherlock, but I have other shows that make up for the loss: Endeavour and Cabin Pressure.  The two-part finale of CP will happen on December 23 and 24 -- I'm counting the days* -- and I've read that we'll get a third series of Endeavour next year.  Whether my favorite character returns remains to be seen, but I shan't sob my heart out over his loss until I have to.

*112 days, by the way.  16 weeks from today, and God bless BBC Radio 4 for making their broadcasts available over the Internet to the entire world.

And there's always The Vicar of Dibley to re-watch on DVD when I get bored.  Especially the episodes with Richard Armitage.  (You ask any red-blooded, obese woman who is even a little oriented toward men and who's seen his episodes if she has a crush on him, the answer will almost certainly be yes.)

Music recommendation!  If you even sort of like the blues, I highly recommend Sista Jean and C.B.'s acoustic blues CD "Back to the Root."  She sings, he plays guitar, and you hear an occasional third instrument.  Her voice is low, throaty, gritty, and genuine.  This woman has soul, people.  I've also discovered Alabama Shakes and Hurray for the Riff Raff in the last year or two, so check out their stuff, too.  And who would have guessed I'd be a fan of hip-hop music by a French-Chilean rapper?  Ana Tijoux is a brilliant poet, and I like her "1977" album.

This month marks the beginning of Christmas and Birthday Season: I have eight family members, and seven of those birthdays between Labor Day and Christmas day.  (But mine is one of the seven, so that helps.)  It's an expensive time of year.  I need jeans, though, so that's my first priority come pay day.  I don't want to look like a slob when I'm peddling my wares for Rocky Horror!

Most of what I've read recently is fanfiction, and I've found some gems in the Sherlock world, but I have managed a few books, too.  Stephen Fry's The Ode Less Taken helped me to appreciate poetry more, so I've read a volume of Emily Dickinson gradually over the last year.  I finished the collected Sherlock Holmes stories and novels by Arthur Conan Doyle, too.  I rather liked John Green's Paper Towns, which I finished over a weekend last month.  I also restarted Deborah Harkness's A Discovery of Witches yesterday.  I'll let you know if I finish it; it came highly recommended from a friend whose opinion I value, but I got distracted the last time I tried it.

Poor Bubba the Hutt!  I try to take good care of my cat, and I think I do a decent job for someone who can't come home for lunch every day any more.  But tonight, he heard my car pull into my parking spot and ran to the door.  He usually doesn't lurk so close to the door, and when I swung it open, I heard a solid THUMP.  I hit him right on his little noggin.

Superficially, all is well, but I'm like the proverbial duck: serene on top, paddling frantically under the surface.  Therapy, depression, evaluating friendships, supporting family members, trying to keep my own stress levels down ... all that stuff.  None of it is fun, but I can manage it at least most of the time.  I've not done as much as I am capable of doing, so sharing my time and energy with others is an area of my life that I need to work on.

*waves to anyone reading*  I would say happy Tuesday, but as Tuesday is mostly over even in California, I shall wish you a happy Wednesday instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe #1: Nora Ephron's Chocolate Cream Pie

Stanley Unwin would call it "Improvvers the Domicilibode."

Christmas 2023: dreading dreading dreading